From Circe Cycles
Riding as a couple or as a family on single bikes is always difficult. Whether through differences in strength or experience, a potentially pleasurable experience can often become frustrating, sometimes dangerous and ultimately unsatisfactory. Tandems go some way to addressing this, but are typically large and very limiting size-wise, which diminishes their practicality particularly in a family situation. However, by using the commonly available 20" (ISO 406) wheelsize, Circe were able to design a frame that was both compact for storage, transportation and manoeuvrability and very adaptable for different height riders - easily and quickly accommodating sizes from a small child up to a large adult. The compact frame allowed by the small wheel design also allows a very low stepover for easy mounting and dismounting. Whilst the low-step-over, compact design provided excellent ergonomics and functionality for two people, it also enables the tandem to be easily converted into a single bike for child and freight carrying. By removing the stoker seat post and handlebar a special rack designed to accept two child seats, mulitple panniers or even large luggage sacks can be installed.
While such remarkable versatility was foremost in the design agenda, Circe also wanted a bike that could perform at the highest level. Consequently, the frame design and geometry have been optimised for weight and performance such that the Helios also makes an excellent sports and touring bike.
The Auster is the lightweight sports Helios. Ideally specced for fast sports or audax riding, it features a drop bar with STI shifters, and the 'Capreo' cassette for a wide but sporty gear range. It also makes an excellent lightweight tourer and like all Helios can be quickly converted for load or child carrying duties.
- Circe designed aircraft grade 7005 Aluminium frame
- Cro-mo fork with mounts for disc and 'v' brakes
- Quick release steerer tube extender for compact storage and transporation
- Telescopic stoker stem and seat post for a wide range of adjustment
- Shimano front disc and rear cantilever brakes
- Tiagra STI levers
- Shimano Capreo system for a wide gear range with the 20" wheels
- 20" Alex DV 15 32H rims handbuilt with Sapim spokes
- Schwalbe Marathon Supreme tyres for low rolling resistance and excellent durability